Change is a bit difficult for almost everyone, even when it’s a good change.
Today marks the day when I made a change to go part-time at work so I can focus on my writing. Like most changes, this is bittersweet. I have been the Director of an Analytics department for over 3 years (a manager prior to that), and I LOVE my team. We are a family of sorts – which is saying quite a lot since all 11 of us work remotely.
My coworkers and I have built a dream team that works together and supports each other through each upturn and stressful day. They are, by far, the best, most competent, most supportive group of people I’ve ever worked with. Today I had to tell my team, my friends – I will be your fearless leader no more, but am becoming “one of you”. No more management responsibilities, no more project leadership (and all the headaches that come along with that), only special projects 3 days as week. Hurray for me (but sad for my team)!
On our daily group chat today we talked about change, and shared some quotes. Here were some of my favorites:
Quotes on Adapting to Change
- People will try to tell you that all the great opportunities have been snapped up. In reality, the world changes every second, blowing new opportunities in all directions, including yours. – Ken Kakuta
- All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy, for what we leave behind us is part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter into another. – Anatole France
- Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. – Lao Tzu
- Of course there is no formula for success except, perhaps, an unconditional acceptance of life and what it brings. – Arthur Rubinstein
- Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong. – Mandy HaleAnd my favorite, because we all like to believe in a little magic:
- And suddenly you know…It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings. – Meister Eckhart
Embrace the changes in your life. Create change if you need it. Follow it when you can and see where you go. For without change, life is stagnant and new opportunities never come your way.